Conditions of access
The following individuals are entitled to become members of the EFR Library:
- Enrolled as of right: members and scholarship students
- Teacher-researchers and researchers
- Partners of EFR programmes
- Former members, scholarship students and staff
- French Erasmus students (Master’s)
- Others (PhD students, and above)
Due to new security regulations at the Embassy, identity checks will be reinforced until further notice.
In the wake of the events that occurred in Paris on the night of Friday 13-Saturday 14 November, 2015, and in Brussels on March 22, 2016, and in order to guarantee the safety of visitors, the Library of the École française de Rome is applying all security measures currently being carried out at the Palazzo Farnese.
The Library of the École française de Rome is open in the usual conditions.
In order to ensure that readers and visitors receive a warm welcome, we would request that you respect the following rules:
- Public access is subject to systematic checks and screening. We thank you in advance for collaborating with the security personnel to facilitate this approach.
- Prior to entering the Palazzo Farnese, you will be required to present your library card, as well as valid ID.
Documents required for registration:
For those who would like to join the Library or who no longer have a library card, the Palazzo Farnese can only be accessed with the agreement of the Library Manager. An email must, imperatively, be sent to bibliotheque.direction(at)efrome.it at least one week before the required date of registration. The request must include scanned copies of the following documents:
- Valid ID
- Registration form (in french)
- For teacher-researchers and independent researchers, or, where appropriate, for doctoral graduates and those with a professional card.
- Certificate of registration for a doctoral course or for an Erasmus Master’s, depending on student category.
- Letter of presentation from the Director of Research for students registered in doctoral degrees or for an Erasmus Master’s.
The required date of registration (day and time) should be precisely indicated on the application form sent to bibliotheque.direction(at)efrome.it. It is possible to register at the Library Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.
An application is not valid as a membership registration. Applicants must wait for the Library to reply to their request before coming to the Palazzo Farnese.
The École française de Rome would like to thank its readers, former members, former scholarship students, and former collaborators for their understanding in regard to these new rules of access.
We invite you to consult our website on a regular basis or to follow us on social media.
25 euros for 12 full months
10 euros for one month
Free entry for a period not exceeding one week
Monday – Friday: 9am to 5pm
All requests for registration must be sent to the Library Manager via email at the following address: bibliotheque.direction(at)efrome.it
Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm
Saturday, 9am to 7pm
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm